Are you a talented and experienced fundraiser on a mission to save the world? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment with like-minded colleagues? Do you think journalism plays a vital role in protecting democracy? If so, you could be the next Director of Development at CalMatters.
In seven years, CalMatters has become the largest newsroom covering California politics and politics. We are a non-profit, non-partisan organization, providing our coverage free of charge to over 250 media outlets. Over a million people visit our website each month and 150,000 subscribers receive our newsletter every weekday morning.
We are looking for an ambitious individual with great communication skills to lead our revenue strategy for major donors. This is a great opportunity to play a vital role in a dynamic and growing organization. As a senior manager, you will work closely with the Director of Development, CEO, Editor-in-Chief, and Board of Directors to maintain and grow new relationships with donors who give $5,000 or more annually.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Develop and execute strategies for stewardship and renewal of current donors and prospecting of new donors capable of making annual gifts of $5,000 or more.
- Write compelling materials for donors, including email updates, event invites, impact reports, and other marketing tools.
- Maintain your knowledge of CalMatters reports and special projects, using this information to identify and develop fundraising opportunities and strategies.
- Oversee a compelling development event strategy, including luncheons, trade shows, private dinners, and donor briefings. This includes special events and benefits for Publisher’s Circle level donors (over $10,000).
- Develop a planned giving program and support its marketing.
- Ensure CRM is maintained with accurate donor information and assist with annual forecasting.
- Achieve annual revenue goals.
- 5+ years of experience in revenue-generating leadership roles in non-profit organizations.
- A track record in the cultivation, solicitation, closing and management of individual major gifts.
- Experience in developing, planning and leading comprehensive revenue strategies.
- Experience tracking and reporting on progress towards performance goals.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with an ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build genuine long-term relationships.
- Ability to build a community of supportive, engaged and loyal donors and manage an effective donor relations program.
- Highly organized and self-driven with a strong desire to make a lasting impact.
- Mastery of CRM tools such as Salesforce.
- Experience and/or passion for journalism.
- Applicants should be located or willing to relocate to the Sacramento metro area or San Francisco Bay Area and be prepared for limited travel within California as needed.
Performance will be assessed on your ability to achieve agreed revenue targets, retention of existing donors, acquisition of new donors, execution of successful donor events and development of donor communication tools.
Benefits and Compensation:
The base salary for this position is $110,000 per year; higher compensation may be available for someone with advanced skills and/or experience.
CalMatters offers a comprehensive benefits package with medical, dental and vision insurance (we cover 90% of costs for employees and 70% for dependents) from a range of HMO and PPO providers. We’ll match contributions of up to 4% of your salary to our 401(k) program, provide no-cost life insurance, and give you an allowance for personal cell phone use and a budget for development opportunities. professional as courses and conferences.
We are a growing and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model of sustainable, smart, non-profit journalism. We are committed to reflecting the population of the state we serve and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. If you are interested, please provide a CV and a cover letter.
If you have any problems with this form or prefer to apply by email, write to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.